Sunday, April 6, 2008

Spicy noodles

Ate lunch in the Lusca building in Hiratsuka on saturday. Andrea and Travis had pizza, I decided to branch out. I had a (more than likely) korean inspired spicy garlic noodle soup. Hot as hell. My eyes were watering and my nose was running. It was delicious. I also had a melon soda float. Melon soda, ice, ice cream. Yes, ice. For some strange reason they leave it in their floats at that shop. Maybe it's a japan thing, I'm guessing it is, but I haven't had a float anywhere else yet.

We also went to the import shop. Who knew doritos tortilla chips were worth 4.50. Me, because corn chips don't really exist here. Unless you want them to taste like corn. Oh and look out families, we found some of those chips and they will be on their way. $10 for kraft parmesean cheese. $8 for johnsonville smoked brats. 2.50 for a can of cream of chicken soup. Its all very brutal. It's a good thing we don't live near those stores (there isn't one for at least a 45 minute train ride).

Pizza spring rolls failed, but I know why. Too much beef, no pepperoni. As far as I can tell pepperoni isn't in stores here, so it is unlikely that I can remedy the situation. Also the sauce tends to leak out into the frying oil and makes it unusable for any other frying. Yes I save my cooking oil, it has more than one use you wasteful people!

Japanese bacon hasx failed me again, and for the last time. It doesn't cook right, it just burns. There's no smokey flavor or aroma. It is just plain bad. So for reference to bacon lovers everywhere, don't come to Japan, you will be without for the period of your stay. Unless you stay at the sheraton, they have bacon with their breakfast.

Banana and green tea are the flavors of the season. Pocky has banana. Fran has both. There is green tea caramel corn and a variety of cookies. I hope this phase passes quickly, I despise both flavors.

No comments: