Thursday, February 28, 2008

Peach Season

Normally I wouldn't associate peaches with february and march, but in Japan, fruits know no seasons. Strawberries are in plentiful supply right now, following the great strawberry flavored foods season. Now comes the onslaught of peach chocolates and cookies. I can't say I'm thrilled. Strawberry is one thing, it goes great with chocolate or other sweets. Peach is a flavor that is really hit or miss for me, often tasting like flavored plastic. I might find out how these new snacks taste, I might skip it. I'm looking forward to what summer has, since we only caught the tail end of it last year.

I made fajita style chicken and peppers yesterday. Andrea was finally starting to feel better so it was time to try something experimental. Word of warning, when soaking chicken in a marinade, proteins seem to leech into the liquid, which will coagulate once it heats up, making sludge instead of sauce. I used the taco seasoning liquid that I soaked the chicken in to make a sauce, and it didn't work well. In the end it tasted fine, but the sauce left something to be desired. The peppers were good though, best 6 dollars for 2 peppers ever. I remember bell peppers being 50 cents. Oh well. Served it all over rice for a relatively balanced meal. Low in fat high in protein. Going to try and make lasagna next week, in a toaster oven. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bell peppers (the green ones) are 1 dollar here now