Butter flavored snacks are amazingly popular here. Even with the fact that butter is a regional export of Hokkaido and is not close to cheap. Butter flavored chips, crackers, various salty snacks. Strange obsession, but not disgusting. The chips taste like baked potatoes and there's a very specific butter bread snack that's quite good, they're sort of like giant croutons. Still there aren't very many butter flavored things in the US.
I managed to make lasagna this week. In a toaster oven and without riccota cheese. I put too many layers in so it really didn't taste perfect, though next time will be better. I won't be able to make it all the time though; $6 for a box of noodles, $4 for cottage cheese, $4 for the parmesean(just the amount I need, not the giant container most people think of), and $4 for the sauce ingredients. The noodles will last me for another batch, but $15 for two servings of homemade lasagna? Not my idea of cheap.
We ate a big dinner at a friend's apartment, he made all kinds of mexican food. He was a cook before he came to Japan and he like to make a big meal and share it with people once or twice a year. The guacamole he made was so awesome, and I don't even like the stuff. He made enchiladas and nachos, all with grilled meat. Pinwheels made with real cream cheese. Best mexican food I've had in years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
butter huh?...baked potato sounds good...my roommate recently went vegan so she is giving me all her stuff with dairy >.> ha ha
Post a Comment