Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Another week

Another series of uninspiring foods. I've been pouring over recipes to make, but its just so hard. 90% of recipes on the internet require either A) ingredients that I don't have ready access to, or B) an oven. This leave me wandering the grocery store trying to think of a new flavor to stirfry chicken (which andrea won't eat the vegetables) or a new way to flavor ground borf(beef pork combo that is the only ground meat you can buy). Frustration is an american cook in a japanese kitchen.

Thankfully snacks are plentiful here; blueberry pocky, salty vanilla toppo, and orange ramune candy. Fran has come out with bananna and matcha(green tea) "au lait" flavors this month. I won't be trying either because they both sound aweful. The store had imported cookies today. A variety of shortbreads and sugar cookies. I bought shortbread with belgium chocolate. I knew they were imported when its said "Vegetarian safe" on the side. Its nearly impossible to be a vegitarian in japan simply because there are no companies that make v-friendly foods.

I'll probably hover over the food sites for a few more hours today, unless I get work to do. Maybe I'll find something I can make, maybe it will even taste good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my roommate would die, even though she loves japanese wood block...she has now gone vegan. If you are half as good as you say you are your challenge (maybe you can think of it as iron chef) is to make a delicious meal...oh well maybe this is more like dinner impossible the british guy always does it right. Why cant you? I tease. Good luck