Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Inspiration

I seem to be lacking drive in the kitchen lately. I have food I can cook, but it is the same, tired recipes that I make at least once in a two week period. I don't know where to turn. I can't bake. Grilling is difficult at best. There are only so many ways to stirfry vegetables and meat. I've wandered through the list of websites I know, looking for new recipes. I seem to be lacking inspiration. This unfortunately leads me to fast food, since I can't bring myself to cook.

Part of the problem is the produce available. I love peppers, but they're so expensive I can't afford to use them often. On top of that, most recognizable vegetables from a US grocery store just aren't sold in Japan. Many spices also aren't available where we live. It can be frustrating at times. I can't make any variety of salads because they would cost as much as $10 per person, unless I want to use cabbage instead of lettuce. I don't. Add to the fact that things like soups are so far out of season, given that it is so hot and humid, I struggle to find summer ready recipes.

Gyros, Tacos, Burgers, Italian Chicken, Pizza, Meatball subs, Spagetti. Those are the recipes that are in my current cycle. If only I could find something new to make.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you could have cold soup gazpacho. Can you make pasta dishes?