I've been more experimental lately, trying to come up with new things to make, just to keep cooking exciting. First off, buffalo wings.
I found a "copy-cat" recipe for a restaurant boneless buffalo wing, and it was amazingly simple. Some seasoned flour, some eggs and a bunch of frying oil, and I was ready for some good American wings. I had to use some bottled buffalo sauce from an import store, and it was way too spicy for a standard buffalo wing. I liked it, it was just not a regular level of heat. I've never deep-fried chicken before, though this was a picture of simplicity. The crust stayed on the chicken (unlike another buffalo recipe that used a pan-frying method) and the chicken was perfectly cooked. I made some of them honey-bbq'd flavor, but I didn't take the time to make sure the sauce was right and there just wasn't enough honey. I'll try that another time perhaps.
Last week I made hummus. I managed to get my hands on both chickpeas and tahini, so everything else was just for fun. I decided to make it roasted red pepper flavored. I don't have a food processor, I have a mini chopper. This makes pureed things like hummus hard to concoct. I did manage to roast the pepper and get the beans ground up. It was more of a paste than a sauce like consistency, but that is the fault of the underpowered grinder, I won't ever be able to make perfect hummus without spending money on a device I will abandon next year. I don't like to waste money. I did however put way too much garlic in it, the first day it had a burn that has since subsided. Maybe just one or two cloves instead of four or five next time.
I might try and make rice crispies today or after Andrea leaves. Either way it will be done, hopefully with good results. I did manage to find jalapenos as a store last week as well, salsa is not far on the calendar either.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment