Part two of my shopping list for my kitchen, long and short term alike. Last time I focused on pots and pans. This time, electrics. I have already amassed an ice cream maker, food processor, electric knife, skillet, waffle iron, hand mixer and stick blender. I am missing some key things though.
What kitchen doesn't have a stand mixer? Long before I even knew what it was, it was the most recognizable appliance from my grandmother's house. KitchenAid is still the standard, and I will not wander from that choice. Mine will be the 5 qt with the hinged top and locking bowl model. The hinged top allows you to move the mixing implement out of the way while mixing, and that makes things easier. I also intend to have the meat grinder attachment, for sausage making.
One of the biggest memories I have is of my family's electric griddle. Part griddle, part waffle maker, it was the perfect device for waffles, pancakes, french toast and especially grilled cheese. The big squares are great for cooking lots of things, and I cannot imagine not having one in my kitchen. It is a pity then, that waffle maker/griddle combos are hard to find now. I have a waffle maker already, so I have settled on a large single piece digital griddle. The digital lets me pick the temperature setting specifically, instead of depending on vague settings like medium and hot.
I own at least 4 thermometers, two old alcohol filled and two digital. One of the digital is of the probe variety, with a heat proof cord that you can stick in a grill or oven. What I lack is a digital thermometer for candy making and frying. You can ask Andrea, the last time I made candy I attached the thermometer I have to the cabinet above her stove, and carefully dangled the probe into the caramel from three feet above the goo. Not dangerous at all right? I picked one that comes with a shield that protects the digital readout from oil and hot candy. That will certainly help make my candy making a smoother process.
Finally comes the electric kettle. Most people don't see all the great uses for this, which is sad, because it is a useful, safe device that makes all kinds of cooking easier. Auto shutoff, cool to touch plastic and a quick heating element make electric kettles the most efficient way to boil water for things like tea and coffee. It also can be used for things like stocks for soup making, have you ever tried adding cold stock to hot soup? What about replacing lost water while making stock or pot roast? It's a really good tool for adding hot water to pans for cheesecake baking or even poaching. In short, if you really like to cook, you should have one.
Look forward to part 3 coming soon.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment