I've been contemplating what I desire my kitchen to contain when I do return to my home country next year. To that end I began compiling a list of gadgets, pans and tools that I want, ranging from necessities to the obscure. So far I have a $1500 list, though only about $900 is necessary, things like basic pans, a mixer and some small tools are part of that amount. Many things like the pans and the mixer will last me until my kids are deciding what their kitchen will be supplied with. My goal for the necessary items is two years after I move back, 5 years for all of the "unnecessary" items.
I have settled on All-Clad stainless for my pans. Oh, I know, "How are you going to decide which pan is good without looking and feeling the pan?" Well, I'll be honest, every trip to Bed Bath and Beyond turned into an hour long excursion through the kitchen wares until I made it to the device I intended to buy. I've picked up every pan in that store at least 3 times. Except of course the all copper pans, no matter how good they are, I won't spend that much money on a pan. The line of pans that I like is aluminum sandwiched between steel(the aluminum helps regulate the heating and keep it even). I've picked out a 2 qt saucier, yes the name is a little fruity, but it is the perfect pan for things that need to be whisked when cooked (pudding, custard, gravy, sauces). I've settled on a 3 qt, 10 inch saute pan, as well as a 10 inch fry pan. All of these are completely stainless and can be cooked both on a stove, and in an oven.
I have picked one pan, or pot in this case, that is not stainless. I already have a small stainless pot, but for things like stock making, I need something larger. A LTD line 7 qt stock pot. Stainless on the inside, anodized aluminum on the outside, it is a good tall, narrow pot for making stocks, soups, chili's or whatever else I can come up with. This pot costs $300 and is not part of my "must haves." I do however, plan on getting it before too long, once we're settled somewhere.
I also need an iron skillet. This has become obsolete in a lot of modern cooking, but there is plenty of uses for it, and I am a history buff, as well as a foodie. This means that I want to use the historic recipes that have been edited for non stick or stainless steel pans, if only because I need to know where I came from, to know where it is I am going. Plus they're cheap, $20 will buy you a 10 inch model.
I have no need for more non-stick pans right now, I have several and I can do just about everything I want with those. I left my heart and my toffee making with a 2 qt saucepan in Wichita. Can't wait to make candy again. Have I ever mentioned the 80-90% humidity here in the summer?
The last pot I desire will be a pressure cooker. A small (relatively) 6 qt pot will be the one for me, big enough for making soups and grains for a whole family, not too big that I can't make just enough for 2 people. While cheaper than the stock pot on my list ($70 versus $300) this also is not a must have, but a long term item that you will see eventually.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment